One of the first things that I wanted to do in the house after closing in July 2011, was to reclaim the amazing 500+ sq ft deck. It was stained, scratched, weathered and not so nice looking (the previous owner had several dogs, so I learned…). I was on a dime budget – literally, so I had to do things creatively.
Here’s what the deck looked like BEFORE
I started by scrubbing the entire deck thoroughly. At the time, I didn’t have hot water or a hose connected to the outside faucet, so I had to bring bucket by bucket of water to the deck and scrub. I even waited until it rained one night and went out scrubbing (and dancing) in the rain!
Then, I took out my handy palm sander, put on protective eye goggles and face mask and began stripping away the old, dirty surface of the wood. It was a hot July day, but so worth it. If I had waited one or two more weeks, I would’ve been caught in the midst of Hurricane Irene!
Here’s the deck after sanding – WOW, what a difference!!
Another two or three srubbings and I was ready for the sealant. I used Behr Transparent Waterproofing Wood Finish (Natural), carefully coating each plank and ensuring that I covered all the crevices. The Behr Wood Finish was a bit dark for my liking (I really loved the way the natural wood looked right after sanding) but in the end it turned out quite nice. And the deck looks like new again!
Here’s what it looks like NOW:
The entire process took about three days of hard work, but I think it was worth it!